Monkey Junction is a place for me to spout off about nothing. This site will be filled with a bunch of useless knowledge from the world of music, movies, tv, and anything else that creeps it's way into my melon.

Tuesday, May 22, 2007

A TRIP TO THE RECORD STORE.

On Saturday I made the trek down to WAX-N-FACTS, for those of you not in the know, this is a record store in Atlanta in the Lil 5 Points area. They carry a lot of vinyl, old & new, and a decent selection of used cds.

When you walk in the smell of old cardboard record sleeves fills your nostrils mixed with the musty smell of the store. It is almost like you step back in time to somewhere in the mid 70's, all they need is an 8-track section. If you do not have time to spend, do not visit this vintage shop or you will go away frustrated. You have to set aside a good chunk of the day to properly give yourself the respected allotment of time to scour through all the crates of records. Yes they are alphabetized and sorted by genre, but there are no name cards in this record store. Sometimes finding what you are looking for can be a hunt, but once you find that record, that shiny piece of vinyl, it is well worth the time spent.


I have gotten off track, so I was down there picking up a few jazz records, Ramsey Lewis, Charles Mingus, Ornette Coleman and a few others, even picked up the first Boston record. Then I came across an album I had been curious about, Mungo Jerry. I know IN THE SUMMERTIME, but never really knew any of their other stuff. So for $4 I picked up Mungo Jerry's Greatest Hits on Pye Records. I figure for 4 bucks, if I didn't like it I could just chuck it. Well there will be no chucking of this record, it was a pretty good investment I must say.

No comments: