Monkey Junction is a place for me to spout off about nothing. This site will be filled with a bunch of useless knowledge from the world of music, movies, tv, and anything else that creeps it's way into my melon.

Tuesday, May 15, 2007

A STAGGERING GOOD RECORD

THE IKE REILLY ASSASSINATION - WE BELONG TO THE STAGGERING EVENING

Ike Reilly is one of my favorite songwriters...ever. This humble man continues to write good music chocked full of lyrics expressing his low self-esteem and self loathing. While in a lot of his songs he comes across as being angry at the world, it is pretty much directed at himself. With his new record, WE BELONG TO THE STAGGERING EVENING Ike once again delivers.

Each track draws you in to his stories and leaves you wanting more. "When Irish Eyes Are Burning", "Valentine's Day In Jaurez" and "Broken Parakeet Blues" exemplify Ike's song writing prowess. The real surprise of the record is "Bugsy Salcido Has Left The Desert". It is a nice mellow, peaceful instrumental that is very enjoyable to the ears. I never imagined that to appear in the middle of a bunch of songs about drugs, drinking and a 6ft tall lesbian.

Ike's new batch of songs are a pleasure to my ears and I could listen to this CD all day long. With each record his song writing gets better and better, which keeps me wanting more from this brilliant song man.

No comments: