Monkey Junction is a place for me to spout off about nothing. This site will be filled with a bunch of useless knowledge from the world of music, movies, tv, and anything else that creeps it's way into my melon.

Tuesday, April 10, 2007

CRACKER ASS CRACKER

CRACKER - GREENLAND
Cracker has always been one of my favorite bands. With a mediocre album, and various greatest hits and cover albums released over the last few years I have not listened to their music a whole hell of a lot lately. When they released GREENLAND last year, I was curious yet skeptical about their first release of new tunes in 5 years. Of course I bought the album, cause that is what I do. I gave it a listen, then tossed it on the shelf where it has collected dust......until now.

I chalked GREENLAND up as another mediocre album after one listen. Then a few weeks ago I went to Smith's Olde Bar and saw David Lowery & Johnny Hickman perform as Cracker Acoustic Duo. They played a kick ass set list consisting of Cracker, CVB and Johnny's solo songs. They played a few songs from GREENLAND, songs I do not remember from the album, most likely because I only gave it a once over. After this show I revisited GREENLAND, I played it over and over for a couple of weeks. I listened to it everyday to and from work, taking in each track listening to each word and realizing that this is a damn good album. My 1yr old son digs the album too, he gets his baby groove on to the tracks he likes, and fusses at the ones he doesn't care too much for.

GREENLAND is an album of songs about things lost and never obtained. Lost love, lost good times, never getting what you want and times not being as good as the past. Lowery and Hickman manage to get this message of loss across in a mess of upbeat songs that you can really enjoy listening to. The cream of the crop comes at the beginning and the end of the album. GREENLAND starts off with a catchy tune, "Something You Ain't Got". It is a song about a girl he wants, who stole his heart, but she wants nothing to do with him but he still obsesses over her and spends his time drinking and fighting to battle the loneliness. It has great lyrics and the music fits perfect with it. It is a song that would fit on KEROSINE HAT and could easily be a radio hit. The second gem is at the end of the album, "Everybody Gets One For Free". This could very easily become another Cracker anthem along the line of "Teen Angst" and "Eurotrash Girl". David sings about how everybody gets what they want except for him. The lyrics are a bit comical, (started a conversation/about the United Nations/had to use my imagination/cause she was talkin' bout reincarnation) and the chorus is one that everyone can sing along with (Everybody gets one/everybody gets one for free/everybody gets one/everybody 'cept for me). Other songs such as "Maggie", "Fluffy Lucy", "Where Have Those Days Gone" and "I Need Better Friends" are great pop tunes that take a light look at love, friends and past great times. The other song that needs mentioning is "Riverside", a hard rocking number that is just fun to listen to. Johnny's guitar playing tears this one up. Lyrically it is OK, but musically it kicks some serious ass. This track could stand up on it's own as an instrumental. The rest of the 14 tracks are good, but nothing special. I wouldn't call them filler but they do not stand out as much as the tracks I have discussed.

GREENLAND has turned out to be a pleasant surprise. I am glad I went back to it because I was missing out on an awesome album. I definitely suggest giving it a listen, whether you are a Cracker fan or not. The Boy (my son) says check it out or you shall suffer the wrath of his baby death grip. Seriously, go check it out....go...stop reading....get going.....dammit go already!

No comments: